Michael B Linton

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Summerlake Update 1/4/09

We are doing a little restructuring. This morning was our 9th Sunday with no one but my family in attendance. Obviously, Sunday morning isn’t the ideal time for a Bible study at the apartment complex. Church plants don’t normally start on Sunday morning and I shouldn’t have tried to reinvent the wheel. So we are going to back up and punt.

As you already know, we are starting a Tuesday night study and Financial Peace on Sunday nights. Since we will have those two opportunities, we are stopping our Sunday morning study for a while. This will hopefully provide more accessible times for people to join us, and will also allow us to focus our time and resources.

The reality of our current situation is this: if our response to these two new meeting times is non-existent, we are going to have to seriously consider abandoning planting Summerlake. Our financial situation is untenable for more than a few more months. We are about to undergo a major reorganization of our personal finances in order to take some burden off the church, but that will only gain us a month or two. Etta and I are completely discouraged. I know we aren’t the first church plant to not make it—and we certainly won’t be the last—but I didn’t plan to be one of them at all. At this point, it looks as though we may become one of the negative statistics.

Pray that, if it is God’s will for us to continue, He will provide people, finances, and encouragement. Pray that, if it is not His will for us to continue, He will provide a graceful exit.

A side note:
If you gave financially to Summerlake prior to August 1st, you will receive a giving statement from Kingwood FBC. If you gave financially after August 1st, you will receive a giving statement from me in the next week or two.

Thank you for your prayers.

1 comment:

The Critic said...

Hey Michael. My name is Rich Nifong. I was a church plant pastor in Hurst, TX. I know your frustration! We went 6 months with just our launch team coming to services. Plus a guest every now and then that never came back. I got a kidney stone and was laid out for nearly a month and when I got well, everyone was gone except for 1 family. Then they got divorced...I guess I'm telling you this to let you know that you aren't alone, and don't quit unless you have no other choice. I am praying for you. It's been about 2 years since the church plant for us, and I am ready to go again! So, blessings to you and I will keep up with your blog. I found you on facebook - add me as a friend if you want - rich nifong